Thursday, August 2, 2012

works in progress

Part two of my "back from hiatus" post. I felt that the first one was sooo long, and that I should be kind to my readers, and break it into two parts.

Here are other things that I'm working on, because obviously one project at a time is not enough. These are also things that I've recently finished, but don't yet have pictures for.

- I'm creating a Cupcake Crochet "mascot!" or at least an official symbol. I'm going to take it with me when I go to sell things, like at the Oktoberfest in our town. I'm using this pattern, a regular old cupcake pattern (another free Ravelry pattern). However, to make it bigger, I'm using a bulky yarn and a size J hook. Hopefully, since the hook makes the stitches a bit tight, it will hold the stuffing.

- More information on my baby blanket adventure, that was very briefly mentioned in the previous post. I thought to myself, "Oh, my, baby items are small. So, if I want to sell things, I should also make baby items, because they're so fast to make!"
Well, this may be true for baby hats and booties. But, to no one's surprise but my own, baby blankets can still be tedious. Especially when one uses worsted weight yarn, as opposed to something like bulky. I used an original pattern, and set to work. Well, I got 35 rows into it, and wanted to tear my hair out. I'm just not great with the longer projects. I get bored, because I'm admittedly an instant-gratification type of person, and eventually this blanket was reserved for car rides; I'd get one or two rows done to and from shopping with Mom. So, in a stroke of genius, I finished it off! Why torture myself with one long, boring rectangle, when I can have a rectangle surrounded by granny squares! I'm a huge fan of grannies. They're quick, relatively easy, and I get instant results. So, more on that blanket later.

- I recently taught my lovely mother how to crochet (not really the usual order, is it?). So, in an act of love, she wanted to make me a cowl. On a side note, I love her dearly, because she keeps forgetting that there's an "l" at the end, and calls them cows. So, in order to teach her a new skill (holding two strands of yarns together, and crochet with both of them) I picked out black and blue sparkly yarn. Where I found that the yarn and the pattern I picked out for her were very easy to work with, for the life of her, she just couldn't get it. So I, very happily, took over. I used Loops and Threads (the Michael's brand, for those of you unfamiliar with it) Impeccable Glitter. I thought it was simply a dream to work with. It holds its shape very nicely, and really didn't have any trouble distinguishing the back loops, which I needed for the cowl.

- Well, I finished the cowl with plenty of yarn left over, so I set out to make a matching hat. For this, I needed something that doesn't use a lot of yardage, especially since I had no clue how much I had left. I found the waffle cone slouchy hat, which is a free pattern by the lovely Julie over at the Gleeful Things blog. It's not quite done yet, but it's working up to be wonderful.

- My mom was quite taken with some super bulky holiday yarn that was on sale at Michael's, so I picked up a couple skeins as well. As it turns out, I didn't really care for it. It's a novelty yarn, one of those numbers that's super plush and squishy, but it distinctly isn't typical yarn. So, unwilling to totally give up on it, between two skeins I managed to whip up three holiday cowls. They're red and white striped, and one ended up slightly, well, deformed. It's got a bit of a dip in it, and the stripes are rather awkward, but I'm on a mission to pick up a nice candy cane pin for it. To boost its self-esteem, I suppose.

- My personal favorite out of my recent conquests has been my wave scarf. I wanted to sate my curiosity about crocheting waves, so I made a scarf to practice! It alternates between mint green and dark blue every two rows, and turned into a lovely scarf. However, it was rather tedious to make. This time, I'm not complaining out of boredom; my wrists were throbbing after a while, because I wasn't working with either color long enough to settle into a rhythm. I think that once I sell it, I won't make another that alternates colors so often. Or, I'll go long-ways, instead of crocheting width-ways. I'll have to play around with it.


Well, that's all for now! Like I said, once I go back to school, I'll try to set aside time once a week to post. Or, at least make a conscious effort to write a little throughout the week, and post the final product on Friday or Saturday. I promise to do my best! Look out for posted updates on the hat, amigurumi, and pieced-together baby blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment