Thursday, August 2, 2012

sorry for the hiatus; lots of yarn!

Welcome to another post for Cupcake Crochet! I am enormously sorry for the unintentional hiatus. I've been so busy with life, that I just haven't been able to set aside time for blogging! Fortunately, since I'll soon be returning to college, I should be able to set aside time once a week or so to blog properly. Whether it's a new project, or thoughts, or plans, I'll try to get something posted. You may even get guest posts from my suitemates, three of whom also do yarn crafts! So, without further ado, here's a super-long-end-of-hiatus-post!

So, to fill you all in: I've been doing a LOT of crochet. I've done a baby hat, baby booties, a baby blanket (still in progress), several cowls (my new addiction), and a scarf. I'm also testing the waters of making amigurumi, which is so much fun! I've sadly mostly given up on knitting. Try as I might, I couldn't get the hang of anything but squares and rectangles. Crochet, on the other hand, I can pick up fairly easily. So my knitting needles are taking a vacation. Possibly a very long vacation.

My big adventure has been to make things that I can sell. As a college student, it's always great to have extra cash. True, I have a job, but I'm really making an effort to reserve that money for books and other college necessities.

First off, here are a few cowls that I've done. That I have pictures for, at least.

- I made the lovely Diagon cowl, which is a free pattern on Ravelry. Modeled by my fantastic younger brother (ambushed before he went to sleep to do the modeling...). I'll come right out and say it; I chose him, because his head is huge. I was concerned, because I used a smaller yarn than the pattern called for. I loved this pattern because it was really simple to work up, and it didn't take a lot of yarn; maybe 60 yards. I'm not quite sure how much yarn was in the skein, but I comfortably got two cowls out of it. I highly recommend the pattern!
Brother giving me an "I'm so creepy" expression.

...yeah, there's no way to explain this.

- Nextly, we have a lovely striped cowl. This pattern was not my own, but I can't find my source D: So I'm terribly sorry, I can't share the pattern with you all. But it was a lot of fun to make, trust me. The yarn, I rescued from the discount bin at Michael's. I fell in love it immediately, because it was thick and squishy and soft!
"Not bad."
Here's a picture of us both! Yay for silliness!

- Here, we have the fantastic Black Hole cowl. Again, a free pattern on Ravelry. I admit, it was slightly tedious to work up, but that's only because I was being impatient. This was made with Lionbrand homespun yarn, which I had never used before. I have one more skein of it, but after that, I don't know if I'll invest in more. I personally like yarn that can take a bit of a beating, and this yarn felt slightly fragile when I tugged on it. I actually snapped a few pieces when I was working and frogging it, since I tried out a few patterns before settling on this one. It was commissioned by my boyfriend's mom, who simply asked for something to keep her neck warm.
My version of the Black Hole cowl, presented by my boyfriend's sister.

- This is a tiny octopus wearing a blue top hat. I really don't have any other comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment